Name:
Location: marengo, il, United States

Friday, January 21, 2005

Life in the Desert

No one ever knew her real name. She went simply by Big E, and everybody called her that. A regular at the all-night diner where the band hung out after gigs, her rasping voice rose far above the usual racket. The place seemed to thrive whenever Big E was around.

A rowdy “Ain’t that a wig?” coming from the blonde’s garishly painted lips would send all around her into fits of convulsive laughter.

Taking up two of the stools at the crowded counter, Big E always held her court until the wee hours of the morning.

9 Comments:

Blogger Wyrfu said...

And no sign of E minor? Well, you know what they say, Harry: every boy good deserves apples for eating...

12:59 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Here at the cave I changed that to "Doze boys", although I enjoy me a Spaniard now and then.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Ack. All too often I experiment in the key of H (for haste) Dem apples do good boys apply.

1:15 PM  
Blogger sweetpea said...

As I understand it,Big E didn't take no crap off marines or navy.......rofl

11:37 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

She certainly did not, Peas. And as I recall, the really wise never gave her any. "Land, air and only sea, ne'r to trouble the Big E"

12:05 PM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

Sorry, Harry, I think I was in "Hereunder" mode when I read this piece. I was searching for the hidden meaning and thought I detected a musical theme behind it all. Hence my apparently obscure comment.

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

12:32 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Reminds me of Flo, on the 70's sitcom, Alice

2:36 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Oh, but contrair, Sir C. You nailed it all right. I for one mistook the scale for the tuning of the git, but being the onlt git that types, became unstrung. Hereunder lays my apt ology for miscontruing-ing-ing.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Being somewhat fond of math, Hannah, shall we multiply? Say by six?

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home