Name:
Location: marengo, il, United States

Friday, May 20, 2005

London Homesick Blues

Taking a slight detour here, I am posting one of the slowest-tempo country and western song perhaps ever written, and if the reader can imaging the bawdy background noise of a drunk-filled bar, then all the better.

Jerry Jeff Walker penned and sold this piece for the price of airfare home, I am told, which makes the words sound even more appealing.

When you're down on your luck
And you ain't got a buck
In London you're a goner.
Even London Bridge has fallen down
And moved to Arizona
Now I know why.
And I'll substantiate the rumor
That the English sense of humor
Is drier than the Texas sand.
You can put up your dukes
And you can bet your boots
That I'm leavin' just as fast as I can.

Chorus

I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
The friendliest people and the prettiest women
You've ever seen.

Well, it's cold over here
And I swear
I wish they'd turn the heat on.
And where in the world
Is that English girl
I promised I would meet
On the third floor.
And of the whole damn lot
The only friend I've got Is a smoke and a cheap guitar.
My mind keeps roamin'
My heart keeps longin' To be home in a Texas bar.

Chorus

I decided that
I'd get my cowboy hat
And go down to Marble Art Station.
Cause when a Texan fancies
He'll take his chances
Chances will be taken
That's for sure.
And them Limey eyes
They were eyein' the prize
Some people call manly footwear.
They said you're from down South
And when you open your mouth
You always seem to put your foot there.

Repeat the chorus 'til the cows come home.

7 Comments:

Blogger Wyrfu said...

Now that is a good one, Harry, and gave me a good laugh too. I admit that there's as much feeling in that as there was in any of the songs of the sixties. But you wanna know what's funniest of all to me? That is exactly the reason why I'm here in Oklahoma now - Kathy couldn't take England anymore and that song sums up how she made her point to me... ;)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

And in all this time, you have yet to mention a pet armadillo.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

Well, to date the only armadillo I've seen was a dead one on the side of the road. And this was a long way from the Roadkill Restaurant...

If we ever meet up, Harry, I reckon we're gonna spend hours playing one song after another. I can see it now: "You reckon that's something? Just you listen to this..."

3:46 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Say, bring Ken along and we can test the wives' patience, Gone.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

I can see a real paty developing - whatdaya call it? A hootenanny?

7:05 PM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

Party*

7:05 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Ya know, I first took that as an English accent, and read the word as "pah-tay", so I went to find a tie to put on.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home