Name:
Location: marengo, il, United States

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

A Flash of Geek

There. Another one. That noise, pinging its way again through the dark, pushing at the speed of sound across a vast reach, landing, slamming deep into the brain. The sixth one in a long while. Startling as any of the others, it leaves the ear cocked to one side, frozen, heightened; stilled and waiting.

Will it come again? Listen. Will it? Just listen. When? Keep listening. Meantime echoes of crystalline tones fade and recede, fade and recede, and then it fades and at once recedes.

“Are you hungry?”

An automatic lunge for the voice. Bolts of pain overwhelm the neck as a chain stiffens and draws taut.

Drops to cold floor to lay unmoving. Breathless. Lights. Alert now. Listens. Where is ping? Remembers pinging noises. Eyes sweep room. Countless eyes stare back. Remember. Listen.

Alligator is our friend. Stroke. Alligator is our friend. Stroke twice. Not bright lights. Not noises. Stroke, gaze and stroke.

Two adolescents weave their way among the excited throng to get close to the wild man from Borneo. The man wearing a red jacket then tosses a live chicken into the ring. The crowd stands hushed, and watches.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Alligator is not your friend!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

Not sure I get this. Help me out here, Harry. What's the ping?

1:14 PM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

I'm being stupid today. Of course, you refer to the real meaning of "geek". Still wondering about the pinging sound, however...

Actually, this is good even though I'm missing some of, I'm sure. It's very clever in that it draws the reader on through curiosity, the need to find out what is going on. Nice one, Harry.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Just being devilish, Gone. Sometimes I write like I used to play chess, and that is, surprise the opponent by giving away the queen, and as early in the game as possible. I suppose I shouldn't, but hey.

Now how would I describe the ping. or should I? This poor fellow is mad, so could he fathom a droplet of water?

1:28 PM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

Ahhh, all becomes clear. Thanks, Harry. :)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Jodie said...

Gave me the shivers.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home