Name:
Location: marengo, il, United States

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Just a Moment

Reunions of any nature have never been a subject of interest, and in particular, the high school get-together. In this life-time I have been able to destroy enough illusions with little or no help.

But odd as this might sound, it came as no shock to be suddenly transported back in time where I found myself standing outside the boy’s room of my former school, circling my bicycle for an appropriate spot to park the thing.

I did fret at that point about leaving my spiral notebook laying in the basket. Would it be safe there? Safe from being misshapen for a brief minute or two?

Then I noticed a fellow down the hall walking toward me. Oh, I instantly recognized his rotund shape. Not even his trim beard could throw me off. And of course Larry’s eyes lit up when he saw me standing beside the bike.

Forgetting all about my beloved journal, I stepped away from my bicycle to go greet this long-past acquaintance. He halted a few feet away to study me as I approached. Displaying a toothsome grin, he leaned slightly first to one side, and then to the other. Then he chuckled and spread his arms for what appeared would become a big bear-hug.

“So here is the famous one everyone has been talking about.”

Well. What could I say then? That I had to pee really bad?

“Hi, Jerry.” Sounded safe enough.

But then instead of the hug, he reached inside his coat and brought out a necklace of some sort. From there he proceeded to make me very uncomfortable, since he insisted on placing it around my neck. That took more time than I care to describe now, but as he finished the connection and stood back to beam at his gift, I did emit a heart-felt sentiment.

“I am touched.”

Before he could answer, a group of girls passed by us giggling.

“Hi, Larry,” They all called out to him.

See why I hate the idea of reunions?

I recall standing at a urinal next, feeling both relief and some embarrassment. But like the juicy details of most dreams, the rest have vanished now, so I won’t invent anything for a good ending.

7 Comments:

Blogger Wyrfu said...

You have a rare gift, Harry. I can think of no other writer who so confidently puts his arm around the reader's shoulder and talks so accurately just to him, as though he were the only one ever to read this. At times you baffle me or surprise me but you never fail to interest me and to draw me on to read more. In such tiny things you show us the world. A rare gift, indeed. I am honored to be of your acquaintance, sir.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Aw, thanks mate. I seriously have no clue what I am doing, but if someone gets it, then I am the amazed one.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Whoa, there's some serious male bonding going on here.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

It is said with authority among the locals, that to hear the cry of a rain crow means rain is on its way.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I agree, if belatedly, with everything our lizard has said

11:52 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

Being unfamiliar with Mr. Percy, I got curious. Here are two things the man wrote:



"We love those who know the worst of us and don't turn their faces away."


"Why it is that of all the billions and billions of strange objects in the Cosmos-novas, quasars, pulsars, black holes-you are beyond doubt the strangest?"



I am honored by that compliment, Remainderman, tho I don't deserve it at all.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

low cost car insurance
rental car insurance
car insurance cost
budget car insurance
direct car insurance
car insurance chicago
car insurance
allstate car insurance
direct car insurance
car insurance chicago
car insurance rats
allstate car insurance
texas car insurance
new york car insurance
car insurance canada
texas car insurance
car insurance ny
car insurance rating
car insurance price
car insurance rate
antique car insurance
washington car insurance
online car insurance
agent car company home insurance life quote rate
diamond car insurance
diamond car insurance
progressive car insurance
new york car insurance
mercury car insurance
best car insurance company

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
car insurance n

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home