Name:
Location: marengo, il, United States

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Choices

The old Negro man stood patiently by, listening to decaying rhythms of a huge locomotive as it slowed and hissed to a rest. An engineer from the train then stepped off into a cloud of turbulent mist. Next to the mighty steam engine a wooden water tower rose from the floor of a Georgia swamp, and while he attended to replenishing needed water for his thirsty machine, the old Negro slowly climbed aboard a passenger car.

He carried a dead raccoon slung over one shoulder. The few commuters paid scant attention to the old gentleman making his way down the aisle, or to the peculiar burden he brought. Clutching the tail of the animal, he walked toward the rear of the car. A man dressed in a suit sat alone in the last seat. He lowered a newspaper to stare at the approaching sight. Their eyes met, so the old man stopped to ask.

“Want to buy a coon?”

The refined chap shook his papers and snorted.

“My good man. What in heaven’s name would I want with a coon?”

“You would eat it, sir.”

The gent glowered up at the old man.

“Eat a coon? Why, I would rather eat a dog first.”

The elder Negro smiled.

“Sir, if you is raised to eats dog, you eats dog.”

9 Comments:

Blogger Wyrfu said...

I is raised to eats bread... :D

10:20 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

nice ending

11:50 AM  
Blogger James said...

I can still hear Sir Boss telling a similar version of that tale.

Did he ever take you on a bear hunt at Berson's Lake?
Smiles at the memories!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

That is Burson Lake, James, where I never piddled with bears, although my Uncle Don might have wrestled a demon or two there.

4:53 PM  
Blogger James said...

Stands corrected. Burson's Lake

Must have been a blessing (me being young and innocent)not seeing the demons from those bottles of ale.

Hope you all (yall :^) greeting from Texas) are having a Merry Christmas!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Harry, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on work at home choices when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for work at home choices. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about work at home choices at the site above.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Harry, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on work at home choices I ended up on your page. Obviously your site title of Choices is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for work at home choices. Should the need ever arise where you need information on work at home choices then drop by for a look.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Harry, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on home based business when I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need
information on home based business then drop by the site above and check it out.

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Harry...Wow! While I was searching for info on home base business I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for home base business. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about home base business.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home