Name:
Location: marengo, il, United States

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Hans

Hans, who is nineteen, lives in Malaysia. He and I met on-line several years ago, and I broke one of my big rules back then of “getting involved”.

He spoke to me at the time of a concern he had of being found out by his dad. Hans had just chosen to become a Christian. He went on to say that his father had threatened to kick him out of the house if he ever found another Bible in the boy’s possession, but Hans had his mind made up; he wanted to learn more about this thing called Christianity. So we talked at length, me trying to help in my meager way.

Being raised in a land where such a choice could have dire consequences led me to befriend him later on, and when he eventually asked me to mentor him, I agreed, although I voiced some reservations. But after explaining I was not an ideal sort to lead, and that I was simply a regular guy with no deep spiritual knowledge or special insight, and that there were many, many more-qualified people for the job, we came to an agreement of sorts. He now addresses me as Dad.

Hans has every quality a son should possess. He is bright. He is most handsome. He has a great sense of humor. And although he might deny it, he is both industrious and wise beyond his years.

I, as a dad, am less. That is, I am not the most-attentive sort. I have six sons of my own who will attest to this statement, if pushed. Oh, I love them, but I don’t show it like I probably should, or could.

Hans and I communicate sporadically by Email. We have both exchanged pictures of our immediate families. His parents, sad to say, divorced a year ago. His Chinese father remains distant and aloof. His mother, who is British, herself converted to Christianity not too long ago, so she still has close ties to her son.

I got reports from Hans as he struggled with the oppressive school system in Malaysia, and his tyrannical teachers. I let him know he was lucky to not be here where the greatest danger was to fall into the wrong crowd and become a mall rat or a Goth, or learn to indulge in fast food and video games. He laughed and said they have all of that and more.

He told of how his mum had been asking quiet questions about his religion. And when he graduated, he and I celebrated with Emailed high-fives. He now plans to attend a university in Australia, and study medicine.

The latest report I heard on the news says Kuala Lumpur, the capitol city where Hans lives, suffered only minor damage from the horrendous tidal wave that hit south Asia on December 26. I Emailed him yesterday, but no response has been received so far.

I pray Hans is well.

14 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Me too Harry.
God bless.

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really liking the opening para of this post and the previous one. Well written.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Wyrfu said...

Praying too, Harry. Let us know if you hear anything.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I think perhaps you do yourself a discredit here. It's not many who would bother to become involved at all.

5:41 PM  
Blogger MaoBi said...

Jesus took a motley group of folks including fishermen and turned it into millions os saved lives today. Not sure when you befriended Hans and hopefully the church in Malaysia is more ready and willing to provide support for such persons (example, never had agressive college ministry during my time but they do now I hear). Anyway thank you for tending the crop and hopefully tomorrow we see the harvest.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Actressdancer said...

In my humble and usually worthless opinion, Harry, you are exactly the sort of man Jesus likes to use. The fact that you realize your shortcommings as a mentor makes you much more adept at the task than those who pontificate for hours on end about all their knowledge and works.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have. I have a site about banjos ode. You can check it out at banjos ode

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have. I have a site about goldstone electric banjo dealers and nc. You can check it out at goldstone electric banjo dealers and nc

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love antique and classic car and truck for sale then you will want to be there! All kinds of antique and classic car and truck for sale will be in attendance. For more information go to antique and classic car and truck for sale
See Ya There!!

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always check the place over here 10 dodge srt viper

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on the blog. I also like saab 900 turbo

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog on cat christmas gift while searching the web and wanted to tell you it is great. Feel free to have your participants view cat christmas gift for more great ideas.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both
reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both
reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home